Math Camp

As a way to help my kidos get excited about the upcoming End of Year Math Benchmark, I created Math Camp! It's a super fun, engaging way to practice the skills that my kidos were needing extra help in. I don't want to lie and say that it was a easy, breezy thing to set up. It took HOURS and HOURS to get it all together and organized! BUT it was SO worth it. Isn't that why we all go above and beyond for our students? Most of the resources I used were from this amazing packet I bought on TPT from Math & Science with TLC. She had so many great ideas that I used and cut and pasted to make what worked to fit our TEKS and Benchmark. I'm going to try to explain the steps that we took to make our Math Camp such a success. First, beg and borrow tents and sleeping bags to make your campers feel like they have gone on a field trip right in their very own back yard. :D I love the little fire my teammie made out of a copier paper box lid, toilet paper rolls and tissue paper. I wish I had gotten a close up pic of that one. Too cute!
Parent Volunteers are a MUST for this to be successful. They are the "camp counselors" and run each station for you. If you are lucky enough to have enough volunteers, you can be the person who checks on everyone and keeps the time as you try your best to stay on a 12-15 minute rotation.
Get your students Math books ready to go ahead of time (parent volunteers are great for this) I looked at what our Benchmark was testing and what the students needed extra time practicing on and made this booklet with 6 camp sites for them to rotate through and practice their math skills on:
Our stations may look different from yours based on your assessment of needs. Here is a list of what we did in stations: 1)Create a story problem based on a camping scene and have a fellow camper solve 2)S'more fact family practice 3)Addition/Subtraction QR codes (my students favorite station, BTW)
4) Time to the hour and 1/2 hour 5) Ways to make 10 and snack (smores) station
6) Graphing station- students tally and graph animals that they would see while on a camping trip. Our students had so much fun that they had NO idea they were practicing for the End of Year Benchmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment