Cinco De Mayo

Cinco de Mayo means "The 5th of May" in Spanish. The date is observed to commemorate Mexico's victory over the French Army in the Battle of Puebla on May 5th, 1862. It is a national holiday in Mexico and one that we love to celebrate in Texas to honor the Latin American culture in our area. Cinco de Mayo often gets misquoted by many as Mexico's Independence Day from Spain which actually happened much earlier on September 16th, 1810.
While we listened to Spanish music, the boys made sombreros and the girls made flowers for their hair.  They all turned out adorable!  I loved how the sombreros turned out.  My boys really thought about how they wanted it to look.


We learned how to count to 10 in Spanish and tasted 2 different kinds of salsa.  I was proud of all of my firsties trying at least a little bit (a.k.a tiny edge of their chip dipped in!)


Several of our Kindergartners along with a few of my 1st graders got the chance to perform an authentic Mexican Dance during the school's lunch time.  They were such a big hit.  I love seeing my babies perform!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment