Frida Kahlo

September 15 through October 15 is National Hispanic Heritage Month.  It is a month of paying tribute to the generations of Hispanic Americans who have positively influenced and enriched our nation and society.  My teammie next door was conquering a Diego Rivera mural so we decided to tackle a very difficult guided drawing of his wife, the very famous Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo.  Of course, we always start off by reading a great book!  You can find it here:

Because I didn't have the best directions for the kidos to follow, like I normally do for guided drawing, we did the best we could.  
 I think for 2nd grade they turned out so beautifully.  They loved adding the extra eyebrows!

Because Frida was a painter, I wanted to for sure have the students paint her portrait.  Lo and behold I completely forgot that watercolors were not on this year's supply list.  :/ hmpf  Soooo we used our tempera paint (Prang brand-the best in my opinion) and painted away.  I did not use special paper but used plain white cardstock.  It's not the best for durability, it does tend to roll up on the edges if you live in a humid state.  Hello Texas!  ;P


Love, love, love how these beauties turned out.  What a great tribute to a very talented lady!


No comments:

Post a Comment